A determined Sounders FC that controlled it’s own destiny took care of business Saturday night against the top team in the Western Conference . The Rave Green’s 2-0 defeat of St Louis at City Park secured second place in the Western Conference and earned home field advantage in Round One on the MLS Conference Playoffs The Rave Green will host FC Dallas in Game one of the best of three on Monday October 30th.
Albert Rusnak slotted home a perfect pass from Cristian Roldan who galloped into the St Louis goal area and found the open midfielder. The 23rd minute goal gave the Rave Green the early which they never relinquished .
Seattle doubled its first-half lead courtesy of an own goal. Reed Baker-Whiting took the ball up the left flank, playing give-and-go with Léo Chú before sending in a cross that took a deflection into goal off of St. Louis’ Tim Parker.
Stefan Frei recorded his 14th shutout of the season – setting a single-season club record and the best mark in MLS for 2023 – as the Rave Green finish the regular season on a nine-match unbeaten run (4-0-5) and now head into postseason play holding second place in the Western Conference.
- Mariners have plenty to do to repair their reputation
- After a mini-break, the Seahawks set sights on a rematch with the 49ers.
- Mariners make the first move at Winter meetings, trade Marco Gonzales, Jarred Kelenic, and Evan Wither
- Seattle Storm to Host Draft Lottery Party Sunday at Rough & Tumble Pub
- BREAKING: No.2 Huskies to play No. 3 Texas in College Football Semi-Final Game at Sugar Bowl
POST GAME NOTES
- Following tonight’s win at CITYPARK, Sounders FC finishes the 2023 MLS regular season in second place in the Western Conference. Seattle now faces FC Dallas in Round One of the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs. Details for the three-match series will be announced in the coming days.
- Prior to today’s matchup, Seattle and St. Louis only met on one previous occasion, a 3-0 win for the Rave Green on April 8, 2023 on the Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field. Seattle now holds a 2-0-0 record against St. Louis, including a 5-0 goal difference.
- Albert Rusnák’s goal in the 23rd minute was good for his fifth of the season. The Designated Player has tallied eight goals in all competitions since joining Seattle ahead of the 2022 season.
- With his league-best 14th clean sheet of 2023, goalkeeper Stefan Frei set a new single-season club record for shutouts in a campaign, passing the previous mark he set in 2017. Frei now has 105 overall shutouts in his career, good for third in MLS history.
- Since Leagues Cup play concluded in late July, Seattle has lost just one match out of nine contests (August 20 vs. Atlanta United). In its last nine games, Sounders FC is unbeaten (4-0-5).
- Since Major League Soccer implemented the Decision Day format in 2015, Sounders FC has never lost the regular-season finale matchup. The Rave Green have amassed a 7-0-2 record in Decision Day play.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 – St. Louis CITY SC 0
Saturday, October 21, 2023
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistants: Corey Rockwell, Jeffrey Swartzel
Fourth Official: Jon Freemon
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
Weather: 68 degrees and clear
SEA – Albert Rusnák (Cristian Roldan) 23’
SEA – Own Goal (Tim Parker) 38’
SEA – Yeimar (caution) 18’
SEA – Cristian Roldan (caution) 32’
SEA – Jackson Ragen (caution) 71’
STL – Tim Parker (caution) 75’
SEA – Léo Chú (caution) 80’
SEA – Josh Atencio (caution) 87’
SEA – Nico Lodeiro (caution) 90’+5’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Reed Baker-Whiting (Nouhou 59’); João Paulo (Obed Vargas 80’), Josh Atencio, Cristian Roldan, Albert Rusnák (Xavier Arreaga 87’), Léo Chú (Nico Lodeiro 80’); Jordan Morris
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Kelyn Rowe, Raúl Ruidíaz, Héber, Fredy Montero
Total shots: 15
Shots on goal: 5
St. Louis CITY SC – Roman Buerki; Jake Nerwinski, Joakim Nilsson, Njabulo Blom (Indiana Vassilev 46’), Anthony Markanich (Tomas Ostrák 77’), Akil Watts (Jared Stoud 46’), Tim Parker; Eduard Loewn, Aziel Jackson (Célio Pompeu 88’); Joao Klauss, Nicholas Gioacchini (Sam Adeniran 77’)
Substitutes not used: Ben Lundt, Josh Yaro, Kyle Heibert, Nokkvi Thorisson
Total shots: 16
Shots on goal: 5