Seahawks lose 33-31 wild west shootout to LA Rams

If last weeks 20 to 17 win over the Arizona Cardinals was bittersweet then Sunday afternoon 33 to 31 loss to the Los Angeles Rams (5-0) can be described as simply disappointing. The 2-3 Seattle Seahawks had a chance to take down the undefeated and division-leading Los Angeles Rams in their surprising shootout with the Ram due to the teams Achilles heel.  Penalties at the wrong time.

Mike Davis
Seahawks Mike Davis celebrates a touchdown. (

While all bets are off when the Seahawks face the Rams for the simple reason that anything is possible, no one expected a shootout between the NFC West rivals. The last time the two teams had a high scoring competitive game was September 13th, 2015 in which the Rams won the overtime game 34-31. While the team was called the Rams they were playing in St. Louis and the game was played at the Edward Jones Stadium in St. Louis. Sunday was only the third time both teams score over thirty points in the 43 year history of the rivalry.

On Sunday it was the Seahawks who started the shootout that resembled an old-fashioned boxing match with a six-yard run by Mike  Davis after the Seahawks defense stuffed the Rams on two consecutive drives.  You knew the Rams offensive stutter step was going to be momentary when the Rams offense answered the  Seahawks score with a 5 play 58yard drive that was capped by a Todd Gurley five-yard run. After the Gurley TD, the Rams offense one-upped the Seahawks when they took the lead on a 19-yard field goal by Cairo Santos.

The Seattle offense answered the Rams call with a Russell Wilson to Tyler Lockett 39 yard Touchdown pass to give the Seahawks the 14-10 lead.  Rams quarterback Jared Geoff gave the lead back to LA when he hit Cooper Kupp with a six-yard pass play.  A 52-yard field goal by Sebastian Janikowski tied the game at 17 all and both teams retreated to the locker room to regroup for the second half.

Brown celebrates with Lockettjpg
Seahawks Duane Brown celebrates with Tyler Lockett. (

The third quarter was no different than the first in fact it was more of the same as the two teams continued to square up and go toe to toe. The Seahawks started the second half with the ball as Wilson hit David Moore with a three-yard pass to give the home side the  24 to 17 lead. The Rams answered that Seahawks score with a  9 play 64 drive that was capped by a two-yard run by Todd Gurley. The punching match continued when Wilson hit Moore with another TD this one from 30 yards to give the Seahawks the 31-to 24 lead.

The Rams counter punched with another TD run by Gurley from five yards out. The punch lost some of its sting when Ram’s kicker Cantos missed the extra point leaving the Rams trailing the Seahawks by one point at 30 to 31.

The Seahawks had a chance to take the lead on their next offensive possession but that drive stalled when Wilson was sacked by the  Rams Ndamukong Suh on third and ten and the Seahawks had to punt the ball back to the Rams

Sensing a reeling opponent the Rams went on a 9 play 61-yard drive that was capped by a 39-yard field goal by Cantros that gave the Rams a 33 to 31 lead with 6:05 left in the game. The Seahawks like any good fighter gathered themselves and counter punched themselves out of the corner on a 44-yard pass and catch play from Wilson to Lockett to the Rams 32 yard line. It was then that the Seahawks resorted to their old ways and let the game slip away from them with self-inflicted wounds.

Right tackled Germain Ifedi was whistled for a five-yard false start penalty on first down, Mike Davis ran for five yards and Right Guard D. J. Flucker was flagged for holding bringing up a 2 and 23. Two incomplete passes by Wilson left the Seahawks with no choice but to punt the ball to the Rams who ran out the clock after converting a fourth and one at the LA 42 yard line with 1:06 left in the game





2 Replies to “Seahawks lose 33-31 wild west shootout to LA Rams”

Leave a Reply