Another stellar defensive effort was wasted in the Sounder’s scoreless draw with Orlando City FC Saturday Night at Lumen Field.
Sounders FC nearly scored inside the first two minutes of the contest. Heber’s right-footed shot was saved and Nicolas Lodeiro’s right-foot shot hit the crossbar. The Rave Green continued to press and search for that tie-breaking goal. The goal never came and the Sounder’s offensive vigor, determination, and energy waned as the game went on
POST GAME NOTES
- Following tonight’s draw, Sounders FC remains in third place in Major League Soccer’s Western Conference with 29 points, three points behind second-place LAFC and first-place St. Louis.
- In seven all-time meetings against Orlando, Sounders FC moves to 4-1-2 all-time against the Lions. Seattle has never lost to Orlando at Lumen Field dating back to 2015 (2-0-2, 7 goals scored, 2 goals allowed).
- On home turf at Lumen Field in 2023, Seattle has five wins, three losses and three draws through 11 MLS contests on the EQC Pitch.
- Keeping the clean-sheet tonight, Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei recorded his 10th shutout of the season, moving him into sole possession of first place in Major League Soccer in this category.
- Earlier this month against Portland on June 3, Frei recorded his 100th shutout in the MLS regular season. By hitting the century mark, Frei becomes just the third player in MLS history to accomplish the feat (Nick Rimando, Kevin Hartman). Tonight was his 101st career clean-sheet.
- After being issued a yellow card in the 20th minute, Jackson Ragen is suspended for next Saturday’s match vs. Houston.
- There was one change to Seattle’s lineup from Wednesday’s match at LAFC, with Héber replacing Raúl Ruidíaz at forward. Ruidíaz is out for today’s match, as he is currently in Peru due to the sudden and tragic death of his father earlier this week. Sounders FC is also without Jordan Morris, Cristian Roldan and Alex Roldan due to international duty at the Concacaf Gold Cup.
- To honor Ruidíaz and his family following the tragic death of his father earlier this week, Sounders FC players wore black armbands throughout tonight’s match.
- Saturday’s matchup marked the 149th time that Seattle has faced an Eastern Conference opponent in the regular season since joining the league in 2009, playing to a 70-45-34 record, including a 42-15-19 mark in Seattle.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Orlando City SC 0
Saturday, June 24, 2023
Venue: Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field
Referee: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
Assistants: Lyes Arfa, Walter Heatherly
Fourth Official: Brad Jensen
VAR: Kevin Stott
Weather: 68 degrees and clear
SEA – Jackson Ragen (caution) 20’
ORL – Facundo Torres (caution) 41’
ORL – Cesar Araújo (caution) 59’
SEA – Cody Baker (caution) 61’
SEA – Nico Lodeiro (caution) 90’+3’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Cody Baker (Reed Baker-Whiting 70’), Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Nouhou; João Paulo, Obed Vargas (Fredy Montero 83’), Nico Lodeiro, Albert Rusnák, Léo Chú; Héber (Dylan Teves 87’)
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Josh Atencio, Kelyn Rowe
Total shots: 16
Shots on goal: 2
Orlando City SC – Pedro Gallese; Rafael Santos, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Michael Halliday (Kyle Smith 71’); Cesar Araújo, Wilder Cartagena (Felipe Martins 83’), Facundo Torres, Ivan Angulo (Dagur Thórhallsson 83’); Martin Ojeda (Mauricio Pereyra 57’), Duncan McGuire (Ramiro Enrique 70’)
Substitutes not used: Mason Stajduhar, Ercan Kara, Rodrigo Schlegel, Luca Petrasso
Total shots: 13
Shots on goal: 3