The long awaited the National Football League schedule was released Thursday afternoon.
THE NFL SCHEDULE FORMULA
- Home and away against its three-division opponents (6 games).
- The four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games).
- The four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games).
- Two intraconference games based on the prior year’s standings (2 games). These games will match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference will be matched in the same way each year.
- One interconference game based on the prior year’s standings on a rotating four-year cycle (one game). These games will match a first-place team from one division against a first-place team in an opposite conference division that the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place and fourth-place teams in each division are matched in the same way each year. The home conference for this game will rotate each season.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
After the Hawks three preseason games, Wk 1 at Minnesota Vikings Wk 2 Dallas Cowboys, and Wk 3 at Green Bay Packers they open the season hosting division rivals Los Angeles Rams.
A win over the Rams gives you’re half step lead on the Division. The Hawk’s next division game is not until October 22 when they host the Arizona Cardinals. A quick 2-0 Division start would put the Seahawks in the driver’s seat. Yes, there is plenty of road ahead but a quick start would leave it up to the Seahawks to control their destiny. If this is to happen the Seahawks defense will need to gel quickly.
EARLY BYE WEEK
The bye week for the Seahawks is in Week 5. Awfully early but it falls in between back-to-back road games, October 2nd on MNF at the Giants followed by an October 15th clash with the Cincinnati Bengals at Paycor Stadium.
DAUNTING BACK-TO-BACK THURSDAY
A fast start is optimum for any team and more important is winning the marathon rather than the sprint after the race starts. Momentum, continuous improvement, and a little bit of luck when it comes to injuries are all critical to a successful season. Execution and overcoming adversity are given. The Hawks will need all of the above to thrive in late November. After a road game at the Rams on November 19th the Hawks will host the 49ers Thursday Night November 23rd and travel to Dallas for another Thursday night game seven days later. Seattle will get a mini bye, that is ten days before a pivotal division match at Levi Stadium on December 10th.
FESTIVAL END TO THE SEASON
A festive season will end the Seahawk’s regular season.
A home against the defending NFC Champions Philadelphia Eagles on December 17th is followed by a road game at Tennessee on Christmas Eve . The Seahawks return home and host the Pittsburg on New Year’s Eve. A road game seven days later in Arizona on Jan 6th or 7th will wrap up the regular season.
Schedule releases are for the networks. Yes, teams want to know when they play certain teams but it’s never a big secret who they will play. The NFL’s formula predetermines that for the most part. The Seahawk schedule is not daunting nor is it easy. In some ways, it is the perfect schedule for a team that is preparing for what it believes is a Super Bowl run. You have to play the best if you want to be the best. The top teams the Seahawks are playing next year mirror images of themselves. Team climbing up the ladder and believing they are near the top. Next year will be a huge measuring stick for the Seahawks.