After an impressive Apple Cup performance for the ages. Huskies quarterback Michael Penix Jr was rewarded for his performance by the Pac -12.
Michael Penix Jr., Jr., QB, Washington (Tampa, Fla.)
- Led the Huskies to a thrilling, 51-33 win at Washington State to bring the Apple Cup back to Seattle, passing for 3 touchdowns while rushing for 2 more. Penix finished the game 25-for-43 for 484 yards, 3 TD passes and 1 interception, while rushing for 34 yards and 2 touchdowns on 2 carries (the 2 carries were a 30-yard TD and a 4-yard TD).
- Penix’s 484 yards were 2nd most in UW history, 2nd only to his 516 earlier this year vs. Arizona.
- Led Washington to 703 yards of total offense, and was just 11 yards shy of his own UW single-game record for total offense (524, vs. Arizona).
- Became just the 2nd Husky ever to pass for more than 4,000 yards in a season and heads into the UW’s bowl game with 4,354 yards, just 105 shy of Cody Pickett’s 20-year old record.
- Against WSU, Penix threw TD passes of 26, 47 and 75 yards, with the last of those coming on the 1st scrimmage play of the 2nd half.
- 3rd time this season winning the award, joining Oregon’s Bo Nix as the only 3-time winners this season. First Husky to win Offensive Player of the Week 3 times in the same season since RB Corey Dillon in 1996.
Also nominated: Caleb Williams, QB, USC; Michael Wiley, RB, Arizona; Ja’Quinden Jackson, RB, Utah; Damien Martinez, RB, Oregon State; Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA