The Portland Timbers earned a 3-0 shutout victory at home over the LA Galaxy at Providence Park on Saturday afternoon. Felipe Mora tallied a brace, while Diego Valeri registered his first MLS goal of the 2021 regular season. Notably, Logan Ketterer earned his second consecutive shutout in the win over the Galaxy.
Mora With The Brace
After entering the match in first-half stoppage time, Felipe Mora scored a second-half brace – his first goals of the 2021 MLS season. The brace was the second of his MLS career. His first brace also came against the Galaxy, in a 6-3 road win on October 7, 2020. Notably, Five of his nine career goals for the Timbers have come against the Galaxy.
Portland Against LA Galaxy
Saturday’s match marked the 28th regular-season meeting, and the 31st meeting across all competitions between the Timbers and the LA Galaxy since Portland joined MLS in 2011, with the Timbers leading the series 13-11-6. Dating back to March 12, 2017, Portland has a record of 9-3-1 against the Galaxy across all competitions, outscoring LA 33-15 during that span. Since joining the Timbers in 2018, head coach Giovanni Savarese holds an 8-3-1 in 12 matches managed across all competitions against the LA Galaxy.
Ebobisse Hits 100 Appearances Across All Competitions
Jeremy Ebobisse made his third start of the MLS regular season in the match against the Galaxy. Notably, the appearance marked Ebobisse’s 100th across all competitions for the Timbers since joining the club in 2017. Ebobisse is the third-youngest player in team history (24 yrs, 3 months, 8 days) to hit 100 appearances for the Timbers across all competitions during the MLS era.
POR – Felipe Mora (Josecarlos Van Rankin, Marvin Loría), 47th minute: Marvin Loría sprayed the ball wide to Josecarlos Van Rankin, who took a touch and then whipped a cross into the six-yard box. Felipe Mora won the aerial battle, driving a header into the back of the net.
POR – Felipe Mora, 60th minute: Diego Valeri fired a shot from the top of the box that ricocheted off the crossbar. Felipe Mora was there to win the second ball inside the six-yard box and put it in the back of the net with his head.
POR – Diego Valeri, 69th minute: Van Rankin drove into the box with the ball and was fouled, earning a penalty kick. Valeri stepped up to take it and fired a shot into the right side of the net.
- With the win, the Timbers improved to 11-10-6 in MLS regular-season play against the LA Galaxy.
- In their last three regular-season matches against LA dating back to Oct. 7, 2020, the Timbers have outscored the Galaxy 14-5.
- Portland is 6-1-0 in its last seven competitive matches against the Galaxy, outscoring LA by a 26-9 margin in those matches.
- Since joining the Timbers in 2018, head coach Giovanni Savarese holds a 7-3-1 in 11 matches managed across all competitions against the LA Galaxy.
- Portland fired 20 shots in the match with nine being on target. It is the first time the Timbers have had 20 or more shots and nine or more shots on target in the same match since Sept. 22, 2019, against Minnesota United FC.
- Felipe Mora scored his first two MLS goals of 2021 and now has four goals in all competitions this season.
- The brace was the second of Mora’s MLS career. Mora’s other two-goal game also came against the Galaxy in a 6-3 win on Oct. 7, 2020.
- Five of Mora’s nine career MLS goals have been against the Galaxy.
- Diego Valeri scored the 85th regular-season goal of his Timbers career. Additionally, the goal marked Valeri’s 99th career goal across all competitions for Portland.
- Valeri has scored 22 penalty-kick goals in his career, which is fifth-most in MLS history.
- Logan Ketterer is the first Timbers goalkeeper to have shutouts in each of his first two matches with the club and also the first goalkeeper to win each of his first two starts for Portland.
- Josecarlos Van Rankin delivered his first MLS assist on Mora’s first goal.
- Marvin Loría notched his first assist of the season and the fourth of his MLS career. It is Loría’s second consecutive match with either a goal or an assist.
The Timbers are on the road again to face off against Philadelphia Union on May 30 at Subaru Park ahead of the international break. The May 30 match kicks off at 4 p.m. (Pacific) and features a national broadcast on FS1 with radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Highlights of the match can be viewed by clicking here.
Portland Timbers (3-3-0, 9pts) vs. LA Galaxy (4-2-0, 12pts)
May 22, 2021 – Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 FLA Galaxy 0 0 0
Portland Timbers 0 3 3
POR: Mora (Van Rankin, Loria), 47POR: Mora, 60POR: Valeri (penalty kick), 69Misconduct Summary:
LAG: Williams (ejection), 44
POR: GK Ketterer, D Van Rankin, D Tuiloma, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M Y. Chara (Zambrano, 72), M Williamson, M Polo (Mora, 45+3), F Asprilla (Loria, 45), F Valeri © (McGraw, 81), F Ebobisse (Bodily, 81)Substitutes Not Used: GK Sulte, D Bonilla
TOTAL SHOTS: 20 (Valeri, Asprilla, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 9 (Valeri, 3); FOULS: 8 (3, Tuiloma); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 3
LAG: GK Bond, D Araujo, D Williams, D Steres, D Villafana, M Santos © (Dunbar, 80), M Lletget (Saldana, 80), M Alvarez (DePuy, 45), F Cabral, (Zubak, 70), F Grandsir (Kljestan, 40), F Hernandez
Substitutes Not Used: GK Klinsmann, D Fisher, D Harvey, D Acosta
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (five players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (three players tied, 1); FOULS: 8 (Steres, 4); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 6
Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistant Referees: Cameron Blanchard, Jeremy Hanson
Fourth Official: Baldomero Toledo
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: Partly cloudy, 62 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial