Opening their 10th season in MLS, the Portland Timbers rallied from an early second-half deficit, but were unable to overcome a pair of late goals from Minnesota United FC, falling 3-1 in front of 25,218 fans at Providence Park on Sunday afternoon. Diego Valeri recorded Portland’s first goal of the campaign, converting from the penalty spot.
Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora and Dario Zuparic made their regular-season MLS debuts for the Timbers in the match. Mora and Zuparic logged 90 minutes, while Chara played 69 minutes in his regular-season debut at Providence Park. Valeri recorded his first goal of the 2020 season and Portland’s first goal of the campaign.
Diego and Yimmi Chara became the 15th set of brothers to play on the same team at the same time in MLS history. The pair are the fourth set of brothers to play for the Timbers in all eras of the club (Brian and Bruce Gant, Dell and Grant Herreid and Josh and Shawn Saunders).
Valeri has scored six goals in season openers for Portland with goals in 2020, 2019, 2017 (two goals), 2016 and 2013. With his goal in the match, Valeri became the first Timbers player ever to score in eight different seasons.
MIN – Kevin Molino, 51st minute: On the counter-attack,Ethan Finlay played the ball to Robin Lod making a run down the middle of the field. Steve Clark came off his line to knock the ball away from Lod near the edge of the box, but Kevin Molino tracked down the loose ball and fired it into an open goal.
POR – Diego Valeri (penalty kick), 56th minute: Felipe Mora dribbled into the box and was fouled by Ike Opara, earning a penalty kick for the Timbers. Valeri stepped to the spot and converted to level the match.
MIN – Luis Amarilla (Ethan Finlay), 76th minute: Finlay dribbled down the right side of the field and delivered a cross to the back post for Luis Amarilla, who finished with a header from close range.
MIN – Kevin Molino (Ethan Finlay), 78th minute: Molino directed the ball to Finlay near the penalty spot and he played a looping pass over his shoulder back to Molino, who delivered a volley inside the right post.
- Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora and Dario Zuparic each made their MLS debuts in the match for the Timbers.
- Diego and Yimmi Chara became the 15th set of brothers to play on the same team at the same time in MLS history.
- Diego and Yimmi are the fourth set of brothers to play for the Timbers in all eras of the club, joining Brian and Bruce Gant, Dell and Grant Herreid and Josh and Shawn Saunders.
- Diego Valeri scored his 77th regular-season goal for the Timbers. The goal was his 19th career penalty-kick goal, which is tied for the six-most in league history with Federico Higuain.
- Valeri has scored six goals in season openers for Portland, tallying goals in 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016 and 2013.
- With this goal, Valeri became the first Timbers player ever to score in eight different seasons.
- Jeremy Ebobisse appeared in his 54th consecutive match in all competitions, which is the third-longest active streak among MLS players.
Up next, the Timbers square off against expansion side Nashville FC on Sunday, March 8, at Providence Park. Beginning at 4 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN with local radio broadcasts and local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).