The reeling Washington Huskies Basketball ( 12-9, 2-6 Pac-12) team’s Head Coach Mike Hopkins met with the media Wednesday afternoon before Thursday Nights must-win game against the Arizona Wildcats. ( 13-6, 3-3) preaching fun, unity and togetherness. The Huskies are on a three-game losing streak and their last win was 64-56 home win over Oregon State on Jan 16th.
On Saturday the Huskies suffered a demoralizing 62-76 loss at 23rd ranked Colorado. It was the first time this season the Huskies suffered a double-digit loss. Give Hopkins credit for the Kumbaya strategy of having the young Huskies reconnect themselves with their love for basketball.
Hopkins is hoping that the Huskies reconnection with their love for the game will have them believe in the system and snap the Huskies out of their current funk which has them at the bottom of the Pac-12 Standings.
INSIDE THE SERIES
Overall: Arizona leads, 52-30
In Tucson: Arizona leads, 31-8
In Seattle: Arizona leads, 20-19
At Neutral Sites: Washington leads 3-1
Current Streak: Washington has won 2 in a row
Miller vs. ASU: 10-6
Last Meeting: Washington won, 67-60, on Feb. 7, 2019
- Under Sean Miller, Arizona is 4-1 in the last five games played at Washington and seven of the eight meetings in Seattle under Miller have been decided by single digits.
- Arizona ranks 10th in the latest NET ranking (best in Pac-12) and has a strength of schedule that ranks fourth.
- UA is scoring 80.7 points per game this season, the 16th-most in the country this season and tops in the Pac- 12. The Wildcats are also out-scoring teams by an average of 15.0 points per game, the eighth-best margin in the country, and would rank ninth in school history.
UW is currently third in the country in blocks with 6.6 per game … UW led the nation in blocks a year ago
• UW is averaging 13.8 takeaways (blocks and steals) this season, which is the most combined average by any team in the Pac-12.
• Over the last four games, freshman RaeQuan Battle is averaging 9.0 points up from his season average of 4.4 and has hit nine of his career 11 3-pointers over those games
• Freshman Isaiah Stewart recorded his eighth 20-point game of the season against No. 23 Colorado going 9-of-12 from the field and adding eight rebounds and four blocks
• Hameir Wright set a career high with nine rebounds against Utah and tied his career high in scoring with 12 points after hitting a career-best 4 from long distance … he also added four assists
• The freshmen guard combo of Marcus Tsohonis and RaeQuan Battle, who had each played an average of less than six minutes per game prior to Oregon State, then combined for 42 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and just five turnovers in a combined 102 minutes of action against the Oregon schools…. the two had played 56 combined minutes prior to the Oregon weekend
• Isaiah Stewart recorded his fifth 20/10 double-double of the season against No. 8 Oregon as he pulled down a career-best 19 points and added 25 rebounds … the last player to have five 20/10 dub-dubs in a season was Matthew Bryan-Amaning who had six in 2010-11
• Stewart leads the Pac-12 with nine double-doubles and his five 20/10’s are the second-most in the league behind Onyeka Okongwu (USC) … additionally his nine double-doubles are the second most by a freshman in the NCAA
• Stewart is the only freshman in the country averaging 18 points and eight rebounds per game … additionally he is the second leading freshman scorer in the NCAA averaging 18.2 points per game
• UW is 11th nationally in field goal percentage defense holding teams to 37.3 percent per outing which also leads the Pac-12
• With his 12 points at No. 23 Colorado, Nahziah Carter is now at 727 career points
• Head Coach Mike Hopkins picked up win No. 60 as Husky against Oregon State
• UW has seven players listed at 6-9 or taller on its roster, the most in the Pac-12
• McDaniels joined fellow freshman Isaiah Stewart in recording 15 or more rebounds in a game this season … The last time UW had two players record 15 or more rebounds in a game during the same season was 2012-13