The No. 20 ranked Mens Husky Basketball team ( 1-1) will officially open it’s home season Tuesday when it hosts Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers (1-1) members of the Northeast Conference . The Mountaineers were 9-22 overall and a mere 6-12 in conference play, finished ninth in the conference and failed to qualify for the NEC Conference Tournament. This year the Mountaineers are 1-1 after losing their first game of the season 81-68 to Georgetown and then getting a bounce back 75-58 victory over Gettysburg.
The Huskies head into Tuesday nights game brimming with confidence thanks to an impressive 67-64 come back win over a ranked Baylor squad.
• Coach Hopkins is one win away from win No. 50 at UW, he would become the second-fastest to 50 wins in UW history, just behind Tippy Dye who reached 50 wins in his first 62 games (1951-53)
• Washington had two freshmen reach double-figure scoring in their debut for the first time since the 2010-11 season with Jaden McDaniels (18) and Isaiah Stewart (15) contributing 10 or more points … the last time this happened in a debut was by Aziz N’Diaye (13) and C.J. Wilcox (13) against McNeese State, Nov. 13, 2010
• Junior Nahziah Carter is 12 points away from reaching 500 career points following his 23-point showing against Baylor … he now sits at 488 career points
• Freshmen Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels accounted for 45 of UW’s 67 points against Baylor between points and assists
• UW graduated four seniors last season (D. Crisp, N. Dickerson, D. Green, M. Thybulle) and lost sophomore Jaylen Nowell as an early NBA Draft entry … those five accounted for 80.2 percent of UW’s scoring during the 2018-19 season
• Washington has seven players listed at 6-9 or taller on its roster, the most in the Pac-12
• Freshmen Jaden McDaniels and Isaiah Stewart were named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 watch list … Stewart was also selected for the Citizen Naismith Player of the Year watch list
• During the Huskies’ trip to Italy, freshman Isaiah Stewart averaged 19.5 points and 10.5 rebounds over four games against Italian Series A teams
•The Dawgs have three players on their roster that have been McDonald’s All-Americans (Stewart, Green, McDaniels), along with all three being ranked in the top 25 in their respective recruiting class nationally.
• The Huskies once again hit the road during non-conference play traveling over 12,000 miles to Alaska, Toronto and Hawaii combined
• UW faces four teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament a year ago during non-conference action in Baylor (Second Round), Tennessee (Sweet 16), Montana (First Round) and Gonzaga (Elite 8)
• UW 48 wins in two years during its back-to-back 20-win seasons are its most in two years combined since the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons
• Coach Mike Hopkins is the reigning back-to-back Pac-12 Coach of the Year becoming the first league coach to earn the honor in his first two seasons on the job … he is also the second coach in UW history to record 20 or more wins in their first two seasons, joining Tippy Dye (1951-52, 52-53).
• UW was picked to finish third overall in the Pac-12 by media covering the league … additionally, freshman Isaiah Stewart was picked to finish on the Pac-12 First Team while junior Nahziah Carter, sophomore transfer Quade Green and freshman Jaden McDaniels were selected as honorable mention Preseason All-Pac-12