PER SEATTLE SOUNDER RELEASE:
Playing before an energized crowd of 37,722 on Wednesday night under the lights at CenturyLink Field, Sounders FC hosted German Bundesliga power Borussia Dortmund in an international friendly. Jonathan Campbell recorded his first goal in Rave Green for the home side, but his solidary goal was not enough in a 3-1 loss to one of UEFA’s top club football sides. Goals from Marius Wolf, Paco Alcácer and Jadon Sancho saw the visitors to victory in Dortmund’s first official preseason action of the 2019-2020 season. Tonight’s friendly was the second hosted by Seattle this campaign, following a 2-0 loss to Club Nacional on February 20.
- With tonight’s result, Sounders FC is now 3-7-4 all-time in international friendly play.
- Tonight’s match was Seattle‘s second all-time contest against Bundesliga competition. Sounders FC played to a 1-1 draw with Eintracht Frankfurt on July 8, 2017 at CenturyLink Field.
- Jonathan Campbell’s goal was his first with the Rave Green since being acquired from the Chicago Fire on December 28, 2018.
- Joevin Jones recorded his first assist since resigning with Sounders FC on May 7, 2019. He recorded 14 assists in 63 regular season games with Seattle from 2016-2017.
- Sounders FC is riding a 13-match (11-0-2) MLS home unbeaten streak into Sunday’s match with rival Portland at CenturyLink Field. The current streak is tied for second place in club history and just one result shy of the franchise record of 14 (10-0-4) set in 2013.
Offside: 1 (Ruidíaz, 1)
OUT: Mario Götze, Julian Weigl, Ömer Toprak, Tobias Raschl, Mateu Morey, Marius Wolf, Leonardo Balerdi, Paco Alcácer
Substitutes not used: Marwin Hitz, Eric Oelschlägel, Thomas Delaney, Maximilian Philipp, Jacob Bruun Larsen
Total shots: 9 (Alcácer, 3)
Shots on goal: 5 (Alcácer, 3)
Fouls: 5 (5 players, 1)
Offside: 4 (4 players, 1)
Corner-kicks: 4 (Sancho, 3)
Saves: 3 (Bürki, 3)