The Seattle Sounders paid tribute to a dear old friend, fell behind in another season opener then proceded to tie the game and watch favorite son Jordan Morris score two goals to lead the Rave Green to their first season opening win since 2015.
The Sounders organization paid respect to former Sounders head coach Sigi Schmid with a moment of silence before kickoff. Schmid passed away this summer and was the teams first head coach. Schmid’s wife Valerie was awarded a Golden Scarf by Sounders FC Owner Adrian Hanauer, with numerous other members of the Schmid family part of the ceremony.
- Sounders FC improved to 6-4-0 all-time in home openers and 6-5-0 all-time in season openers.
- Seattle’s four goals are its most all-time in a season opener. The club’s three first-half goals were its most in any half all-time in a season opener. The last time Sounders FC tallied three goals in a first half at CenturyLink Field was on July 13, 2016 in a 5-0 win vs. FC Dallas, when Clint Dempsey, Andreas Ivanschitz and Jordan Morris each scored.
- Seattle has not allowed more than one goal in 10 all-time home openers.
- Sounders FC is now 5-2-3 all-time in its first match against expansion teams, with a 20-10 goal advantage.
- Morris recorded the second brace of his career and his first at CenturyLink Field. He also scored twice in a 4-2 victory at the LA Galaxy on September 25, 2016.
- Morris missed the entire 2018 season after suffering a right ACL tear in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League first leg at Santa Tecla FC on February 22, 2018.
- Stefan Frei made two saves and earned his 100th MLS regular-season win. He is now 100-87-57 in 247 career regular-season games.
- Leerdam’s goal was the second of his MLS career and his first since July 23, 2017 in a 3-0 win vs. San Jose.
- Ruidíaz netted his 11th MLS goal in just his 15th game. He paced the club with 10 goals in 14 games last season, his first in Seattle.
- Lodeiro notched the eighth multi-assist game of his career, and his third in his last six regular-season matches dating back to last season. Five of his eight career multi-assist games have come at CenturyLink Field. The midfielder leads MLS with 38 regular-season assists since entering the league in July of 2016.
- Rodríguez recorded two assists in a game for the second time in his career. He earned two assists in the final regular-season game of 2018, a 2-1 Seattle victory vs. San Jose. Rodríguez has now posted seven assists in his last eight games, including playoffs.